A deceased father left behind a ghost car in the Xbox game RalliSport Challenge. How his son found it is the most heartwarming video game story you've ever heard.

Originally published at: https://vgsml.geektherapy.com/2018/06/19/a-deceased-father-left-behind-a-ghost-car-in-the-xbox-game-rallisport-challenge-how-his-son-found-it-is-the-most-heartwarming-video-game-story-youve-ever-heard/

I remember reading this story maybe a year ago and it blew my mind. I have played a few car racing games which use a ghost car that replays the current fastest lap, which you need to beat to make a new fastest lap, but in this story you will see why making a new fastest lap in not something you’d want to do! <3

00WARTHERAPY00 a YouTube user commented on a video from the PBS Game/Show, explaining something magical.

"Well, when i was 4, my dad bought a trusty XBox. you know, the first, ruggedy, blocky one from 2001. we had tons and tons and tons of fun playing all kinds of games together - until he died, when i was just 6.

i couldnt touch that console for 10 years.

but once i did, i noticed something.

we used to play a racing game, Rally Sports Challenge. actually pretty awesome for the time it came.

and once i started meddling around… i found a GHOST.

literaly.

you know, when a time race happens, that the fastest lap so far gets recorded as a ghost driver? yep, you guessed it - his ghost still rolls around the track today.

and so i played and played, and played, untill i was almost able to beat the ghost. until one day i got ahead of it, i surpassed it, and…

i stopped right in front of the finish line, just to ensure i wouldnt delete it.

Bliss."

When I read this for the first time I felt choked up, no lie. As someone who is trying to express how powerful games can be on a daily basis, this still literally took me off guard as it was an angle I had never really considered and I can only imagine how priceless this experience was for that person, and I felt pure empathy for someone I have never even met!

I have a young son who I play games with regularly, and when comparing the thought to my own situation it made me feel compassionate, but also happiness that such positive memories are made from time spent playing games with those who mean the most to us.

Thinking back, I have so many happy memories with different groups of people while gaming. But also family. I remember watching my step dad playing Resident Evil when we were far too young to be watching but it was such a great family event, 4 children huddled round a T.V and Playstation 1 watching in sheer terror while our step dad played his way through the game. It was quality time with my brothers and sisters that I will never forget.

Have games ever given you such priceless memories?

Do you have a unique story of your own? If so please submit it and we will consider posting it on this blog.

1 Like

I love this story. The first time I heard it was in video form: