Geek or Fandom Culture Intake Questionnaire

Materials:

Intake questionnaire

Instructions:

Intake questionnaire may be administered orally or given in pen and paper format. Clinician is encouraged to allow the client to explain or elaborate on their responses if the client feels the need.

Target Populations:

Functioning age of 12 and up, though portions of the questionnaire may be administered to younger population with the professional discretion of the clinician.

Expected Results and Troubleshooting:

The expected results are that the client will provide information that can be used to assess strengths and goals in a manner that engages the client and attempts to build rapport by involving a client’s interests and passions.

Expected troubleshooting could include a client who’s impairment interferes with their communication abilities or a client that is hesitant to share. The purpose of this questionnaire is to meet a client where they are at, as such clinicians are encouraged to be flexible, encouraging, and for clinicians to be ready to adapt to the communication styles of their clients.

Related Sources:

Moyers, T. B. (2014). The relationship in motivational interviewing. Psychotherapy , 51 (3), 358-363. doi:10.1037/a0036910

Originally posted on the Geek Therapy Wiki, hosted on the now-defunct Wikispaces platform, as part of Dr. Patrick O’Connor’s course Geek Culture in Therapy.

1 Like

Hi! Just trying to figure out where the actual questionnaire is - is there a form?

It appears that the student didn’t turn in a questionnaire (or it was lost in the process of moving over the data) but it’s possible that they were just presenting the idea of including Geek culture questions into an existing intake form. The way I do this is that I add a few extra questions like these:

• What is your favorite pastime or hobby?
  • What is your favorite book, movie, or tv show?
  • Who is your favorite fictional character and why?
  • What would you rather do in your free time?
  • What is something you know you can do better than anyone else? (This question often resulted in answers related to a pastime, hobby, or fandom. ie: “I memorized every Taylor Swift song perfectly.” or “I build faster in Minecraft than anyone I know.”
2 Likes

Perfect! Thanks Josue!