Title: Ms. Marvel #19
Series Identifier: Issue #19 (also found in Ms. Marvel vol 4: Last Days)
- Cultural representation
- Difficult emotions
- Feeling alone
- Finding Oneself/Identity Development
- Strong female role models
- Taking responsibility for one’s actions
- Coming of age/Getting older
- Loss (other than death)
- The realization that the end of the world is coming has Kamala taking a look at what is important to her.
- She realizes her parents have always driven her nuts, but that they always have done their best for her. Possible conversation starter about priorities and difficult relationships with parents/children.
- Mean girl admits that she was jealous of Kamala because everyone loves her. She feels everyone hates her, and bullies Kamala because of her jealousy. Possible conversation starter about why bullies bully.
- They hold a dance party in the gymnasium to break the tension. Kamala says “You can almost hear the collective sigh. Like we needed to be given permission to laugh again. Like, even if things are profoundly not okay…at least we’re not okay together.” Possible conversation starter about what it means to try to laugh and have fun during tough times, and what community can bring to trauma.
- [Share a real experience about using this content or how it helped you or someone you know.]
Link to Content: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/52253/ms_marvel_2014_19