Over the Garden Wall

Originally published at: Over the Garden Wall -

#159: Tis the season to watch the wonderful Over the Garden Wall! Lauren leads the discussion this week as we cover the show, the nknown, death, rock facts, and more.

Questions? Comments? Discuss this episode on the GT Forum.

Find us at www.GeekTherapy.com | @GeekTherapy | Lara: @GeekTherapist | Lauren: @CHICKENDINOSAUR | Ali: @AliMattu | Josué: @JosueACardona

Become a member of Geek Therapy on Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/geektherapy

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.com/qq

Join the Geek Therapy mailing list: http://eepurl.com/wS4LP

2 Likes

I already enjoyed watching this series but i cannot stress enough how much everyone’s genuine joy over this makes me smile. It’s seriously just fun to listen to how much excitement and energy there is from the beginning of talking about it all the way to the end.

It was a lot of fun watching it with everyone on rabb.it and this was so much fun to listen to as I expected. It’s really interesting to hear the different bits that you all took to the most. I was a bit closer to Josué with how almost everything in the show wasn’t how it seemed although from a slightly different perspective. Rather than the bits about how say the Woodsman wasn’t actually dastardly, Adelaide actually being evil and so on. I thought it was really interesting how the show takes your suspension of disbelief and takes it for a ride.

At first, there’s really no reason to question why Wirt and Greg are dressed like they are. It’s already a whimsical setting thanks to the narrator starting us off like a Disney movie. It’s totally fine that the dog was apparently some evil looking creature because of a turtle. But when you get to that second to last episode, it really unravels that it’s not that Greg and Wirt are dressed silly because it’s a cartoon, it’s because it’s Halloween. Greg doesn’t have candy in his pants because he’s just a silly kid, it’s because he was trick-or-treating before coming into the Unknown. I like that there’s all these little bits and pieces that come together in a really unique way to get this entire narrative and world built together.

I also definitely agree with Lauren’s association of death with a lot of the things in the Unknown, but at the same time I think that the Unknown is also definitely a real place within its universe. But I think paradoxically so. It exists because it doesn’t. It’s more of a representation of a metaphysical sense in that it is a representation of a thing that within the universe as either perhaps a Limbo or a replacement for “life flashing before your eyes” but that the ideas that have formed the Unknown are so strongly held that they can be real on a particular level as well.

All things considered, it’s just a lovely piece of media and definitely matters during the spookiest month of them all. Really lovely episode folks!

1 Like

I just started listening to this episode. I need to react as I remember so that I don’t forget what I was thinking. To begin with, over the garden wall is a phrase I have heard in a Genesis song called, “I Know What I Like (In your wardrobe)”. The lyric is this
“There’s always been Ethel
“Jacob, wake up, you’ve got to tidy your room now!”
And then Mister Lewis
“Isn’t it time that he was out on his own?”
Over the garden wall, two little lovebirds, cuckoo to you
Keep them mowing blades sharp

Apparently there are a couple of movies about two people meeting over the garden wall and falling in love. It may come from an English saying. Also, in England, what we call a yard, they call a garden.

Secondly, to the discussion about death. In the Castenada books, Don Juan said that death is always over your shoulder. Death helps us to find truth. If you are aware of the presence of death, you can better rate your choices and options. Perhaps not comforting, but affirming.

2 Likes