Liger Millionaire

Originally published at: Liger Millionaire - Here Comes a Thought

This episode we discuss episodes 9 and 10 of SU.  In Tiger Millionaire, we get to discuss family roles of the crystal gems further, as well as gender preferences/roles (briefly.)  A brief discussion of parentification in adolescents vs. parental figures as well as knowing your fan base with Steven as Tiger Millionaire.  Amethyst is finally able to be her authentic self to the other gems and see that they do accept her. 

Steven’s lion did not have a lot of psychology in it, but we do discuss it and talk about rational vs irrational fear. 

Follow Kat on twitter @KatMFT

Follow Gian on twitter @Psychogonically

Follow Marc on twitter @Cuiriz96

Join us on the geek therapy forums https://forum.geektherapy.org/

Special Thanks to Joe Jeremiah for letting us use his version of “Here Comes a Thought”

Don’t forget to subscribe where ever you hear our podcast and please leave a review!

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | More

2 Likes

Another great episode y’all!

I agree with Marc about Gems not understanding of gender roles and labels. I don’t think that amethyst sees herself as a girl, or as a boy, but as an amethyst (and a ‘flawed’ one at that), so when Purple Puma is identified as male, it doesn’t much matter to her, other than fitting in with the aesthetic of wrestling. I disagree with Gian’s statement about that being problematic, as I don’t think it takes away from Amethyst’s agency of gender identification. I see Purple Puma as simply another aspect of Amethyst’s fluidity. Also, Amethyst is the one Crystal Gem who regularly shape-shifts. Her gender and physical form are fluid-- depending on what she wants to do, what she wants to be. It’s a skill that all the gems have, but Amethyst is the only one who really enjoys transformation.

Finally, I agree that Steven’s Lion doesn’t have much in the way of therapeutic conversation starters, but I do think it’s a little more than a character introduction. It also introduces an important place, sets up future reveals about Rose Quartz and Steven’s powers, and carries LOTS of important symbolism. Plus, the “we kept Amethyst” joke is SO GOOD :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to the next ep <3

1 Like

Hey, I totally agree with what you are saying, in retrospect my comment represents the least charitable way of interpreting the Purple Puma Gender phenomenon. I fully agree that Amethyst is the most gender/everthing-fluid character because she gives herself the complete freedom to represent herself as she is and wants to be without our rigid conceptions of what boxes she should fit in.

Rebecca Sugar even mentions in an interview that their views on the gem’s genders is similar to their own. Rebecca mentions that they prefer they/them pronouns but they are ok with being called she/her because it is understood that others might find that language more accessible.

What I did wonder was wether Purple Puma was male because Amethyst wished so or because the audience assumes he was male because wrestlers are male by default, which is where I came from when I said it could be problematic, not for Amethyst who couldnt care less about what pronouns are used for her but on part of the audience who would’ve assigned the gender by default. But the more I state this the more convoluted it sounds and its obviously not what was intended in the writing.

1 Like