They're All Gonna Die

Originally published at: They're All Gonna Die -

Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify | RSS | More

#192: Endgame. Game of Thrones. A lot of our favorite characters have died or will die soon. Are we equipped to handle it? We talk about how to deal with the loss of these characters that matter to us, why they matter to us, and some of the most memorable and impactful deaths we care about.

Check out the Geek Therapy Discord – geektherapy.com/discord

Questions? Comments? Discuss this episode on the GT Forum.

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.com/qq

00:00:00 – Intro / Announcements

00:02:54 – They’re All Gonna Die

00:35:37 – GT Discord Promo

00:36:11 – Media Matters

01:00:13 – HYPE TRAIN

01:03:43 – Community Catch-Up/Wrap-Up

Check out the GT Network: network.geektherapy.com

GT Forum: forum.geektherapy.org

GT Discord: geektherapy.com/discord

GT Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/geektherapy

GT Twitch: twitch.tv/geektherapy

Find us at www.GeekTherapy.com | @GeekTherapy | Lara: @GeekTherapist | Lauren: @CHICKENDINOSAUR | Brandon: @Brandon_Saxton | Josué: @JosueACardona

Become a member of Geek Therapy on Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/geektherapy

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.com/qq

:sob::sob::sob: I think I’m handling this weekend well so far. It turned out that the positive things were the most overwhelming for me!

As my GF and I were listening to this podcast on our commute into work, we talked about funerals in media. I believe you guys talked about how death in different media can prepare you for real life, but funerals are one thing that tv shows and movies don’t seem to get exactly right. Not everyone is wearing black, people don’t wear those hats with black nets on, they don’t cover the grave right there and then in front of you, the whole ceremony isn’t just in the graveyard, etc. I remember like 6 years ago I hadn’t been to a funeral in a long time and I was worried about what I was going to wear. I remember asking, do I have to wear like all black? What if I wear a different color? How long will we be at the gravesite? I know a lot of that stuff is for cinematic purposes, but it definitely made my skewed my expectations vs what really happens.

2 Likes

Great point! A couple years ago a neighbor died and I was invited to the homegoing. And I had no idea what that was! According to Wikipedia: A homegoing (or home-going ) service is an African-American Christian funeral tradition marking the going home of the deceased to the Lord or to heaven. It is a celebration that has become a vibrant part of African American history and culture.

The event lasted all night in the hall of our apartment building. I’d never heard of something like this and I think it’s because of what you’re saying @LeiBenoit, I never saw it on tv. And since we don’t talk about death often, or what to do after, until it happens, we’re all missing out on the many different ways to grieve or hold funeral proceedings.

1 Like