Welcome to Geeks & Family Therapy!

Originally published at: https://gft.geektherapy.com/2017/04/01/welcome-to-gft/

So my first post regarding a podcast which will go live later this week. My name is Kat, I will be co-hosting a podcast with my friend Leanika, called Geeks and Family Therapy. I am a family therapist in Pennsylvania, working towards licensure, as well as becoming a certified Ecosystemic Family Therapist.

What is Eco Systemic Family Therapy? ESFT is a treatment for children and families experiencing behavioral or relational challenges and is based on the theory that change in family structure contributes to change in the behavior of individual members. ESFT begins with the fundamental assumption that both the child and caregivers functioning are linked to their relational environments at home and in the community. Treating a child within this model means working simultaneously with the child and family, the home setting, and the family’s community network. (from http://dbhids.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/EPIC-ESFT.pdf )

Leanika received her Masters degree in Media Psychology from Touro University in 2016; which is a new branch of psychology which focuses on the relationship between human behavior and media; which includes social media.

Currently, she works as a case planner for a non-profit foster care program in NYC. But hopes to focus her skills working in social media and consulting. Lea particularly enjoys working with the cosplay, gaming and comic communities.

What will Geeks & Family Therapy be about?

Geek culture’s influence and impact on families; its presence and use in family therapy as well how psychology is used in geek culture and media.

Both Lea and Kat will discuss popular culture and its impact on families. How psychology is utilized to influence consumers, when purchasing toys, games, books, movie tickets, etc. As well as how media, pop culture, and geek culture can be utilized in psychology and therapy.

3 Likes

So hi anyone! I’m actually on this… GFT is still new but hopefully growing! Stop in say hi, leave comments and love or hate… (we prefer love) and definitely suggestions.

1 Like

So excited for this!!

Quick @KatMFT!

Name:
1 Comic you love
1 Games you love
1 Character you want to cosplay!

1 comic is hard… but currently the new run of Wonder Woman. A comic I like to go back to when I miss my family is my grandfathers Lone Ranger comics… in Spanish… they are so old and not in great shape but I remember the smell and sitting with him as he read them to me.

Game I love… board game, pandemic
Video game anything legend of Zelda or Mario.
So… SMASH BRO. Lol

Wow I so can’t narrow down a cosplay! I really would like to do genderbent Naruto, but like super Kawaii but I also want to do like zombie rainbow dash or DJ pon3.

Thanks for the questions.

1 Like

I literally live in Puerto Rico and ive never seen comics in spanish.
I wish I had Pandemic to play with, especially the cthulhu theemed one.
The genderbent Naruto cosplays look amazing!
Nice to meet you.

The comics are super old. Like 1940’s. They haven’t made Spanish comics in years. But he got them in Puerto Rico. I think in Mayaguez! I found Cthulhu pandemic once but no money when I had money i couldn’t find it.
Have you played Elder Sign?

1 Like

Yes, Elder Sign is one of my favorite coops, its all me and my fiance played during the hurricane months.

Hey @KatMFT, didn’t you rename the show? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ok… this was the first show… and someone… not naming names, cough , coughJosue… posted the episodes of the show & this was the first one.