Title: Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe
Series Identifier: n/a
- Young Adult
- Other: Autobiography
- Difficult emotions
- Finding Oneself/Identity Development
- LGBT Issues
- Coming of age/Getting older
- Coming Out
- Maia’s exploration of being genderqueer and asexual brings representation to LGBTQ groups that are less known to the mainstream.
- Great conversation starter for parents/family members trying to understand and see what might be going on in their loved one’s mind.
- Depicts the struggles that gender non-conforming people go through when faced with medical procedures that can lead to dysphoria.
*Shows what it can be like to come out as non-binary and asexual. Maia’s family is very accepting and still has trouble sometimes.
- My wife and I (a lesbian couple) put sticky notes on each part of the book that we related to. Afterward we were able to compare and discover more about each other and our experiences/gender and sexual identities.
Link to Content: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/42837514-gender-queer